It is the responsibility of each and every one of us to ensure that safe and fair elections occur in 2020, with the most important election of our lifetimes coming up in November.
The COVID-19 pandemic has created a new urgency. We can’t be sure that we will safely get to the polls in August and/or November. We must be ready to vote by mail! Even if you receive a vote by mail ballot, you can still vote in person, should you choose to do so.
Voting by mail is safe and effective. Go deeper here
The first step is to ensure that you and everyone in your family who is eligible to vote in Florida will receive a vote by mail ballot for the upcoming August and November elections. Postage is not required to submit your vote by mail ballot in Palm Beach County.
To apply on-line to get your vote by mail ballot, find out the deadlines for applying for and submitting vote by mail ballots, and learn when you can request and submit vote by mail ballots for someone else, go here
If you aren’t absolutely sure your vote by mail application is still effective (it expires after two general elections), you can contact the Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections at this number: (561) 656-6200.
Also call the Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections and demand that the office prepare for an all vote by mail election in August and November. Call Governor Ron De Santis at (850) 717-9337 and demand that he take executive action to fulfill the requests of Florida’s 67 supervisors of elections to expand vote by mail and early voting. Go deeper here
We know that Trump and the Republicans will do everything in their power to suppress the Democratic vote by opposing expansion of vote by mail opportunities. Time is running out to make vote by mail available to all voters in the upcoming elections, including in at least 16 states that don’t allow widespread vote by mail. Go deeper here
We urge you to call your members of Congress (see links below) and demand that they adopt Senator Elizabeth Warren’s proposed legislation to make sure everyone can vote by mail. The third COVID-19 package Congress provided $400 million for states to implement some of these changes. However, $400 million is not nearly enough -- we need at least $4 billion to fully implement her plan, which would:
- Expand early in-person voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail to all states.
- Require states and jurisdictions to establish a publicly available contingency plan to enable eligible Americans to vote in the case of an emergency.
- Require the Election Assistance Commission to create a domestic version of the federal write-in absentee ballot.
- Require that all states provide envelopes with prepaid postage to all voters who request a voter registration application, absentee ballot application, or absentee ballot, and require that all states offer and accept online absentee ballot applications.
- Require absentee ballots to be counted if postmarked or signed before the close of the polls on Election Day.
- Provide money to states to implement these reforms.
We also must provide funding to save the United States Post Office so that vote by mail ballots can be delivered. Without help, it could run out of money this summer.
Use this easy dialer tool to contact your members of Congress:
Text RESIST to 50409 to send a fax to your members of Congress
Use FAXZERO to send a fax to your members of Congress
You can also call and fax these congressional leaders:
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) —202-224-6542,(202)228-3027